Today (23/06/21) sees the brand new release from the hugely revered indie-soul funk, Mersey six piece band Red Rum Club.
The band is made up of Francis Doran on lead vocals, Tom Williams on Guitar and Backing Vocals, Michael McDermott on Guitar and backing vocals, Simon Hepworth on Bass, Neil Lawson on Drums and Joe Corby on Trumpet.
The new release “Nightcalling” once again brings us the unmistakable Red Rum sound with its kitchen sink commentary on life, love and late nights to the toe tapping, arms in the air waving grooves that have ignited numerous festival stages and filled the heart of many a discerning music lover. “Nightcalling” is a track based on the story of new love which is set to the beat of a smooth soundtrack bringing warm tropical, sunset vibes to the listener. The new track is the first offering of 2021 from Red Rum Club and it’s a “pin-sharp, three-minutes of pure cocktail-swilling, dancefloor-carving magic“. The track is released ahead of the band’s third album “How To Steal The World” which is set for release on the 22 October 2021 release via Modern Sky. The band have said that they used their forced time in lockdown to gather in “cathartic writing and recording sessions” working on material for this anticiapated third album.
Frontman Francis Doran says of the new track :
“Nightcalling’ brings disco hooks for the dancefloor that we’re aching to jump onto together. While the club doors remain shut, it should be enjoyed blaring out of car speakers, cruising by on a late-night drive. The track is anenergetic and cocky perspective of new love and the irrepressible excitement that accompanies it.”
The video that accompanies the track is a typically brilliant and in which Doran’s worst fears are played out through hallucinations of his new lover with another man. A late-night drive in a 1974 Ford Granada is the perfect visual backdrop for this disco-themed confession of love.
Listen to Nightcalling and watch the official video here now.
The band’s previous albums, Matador (2019) and The Hollow Of Humdrum(2020) were both greatly received on both radio playlists and across festival fields, with the band somehow bringing together the sounds of English realism akin to the likes of Arctic Monkeys to the funk of Chic and the disco vibes of the Bee Gees. They truly are a band like no other and we are told that the 12 tracks that lie in wait on he third album How To Steal The World promise “yet another step up in their main stage ambitions”.
How To Steal The World will consist of 12 tracks as follows:
2. Love me like you wanna be loved
4. Summer of Another Lover
7. How To Steal The World
8. Sweet Degrees
9. Come back, Anna Marie!
12. Beautiful Mind
As stated above, How To Steal The World” is set for released in October 2021, but is available to pre-order now.
Further, How To Steal The World will arrive at the tail-end of a 30-date UK Tour later this year, including rearranged dates on the road with Circa Waves, plus a headline, festival-closing appearance in the band’s home city, bringing the curtain down on Sound City, Liverpool. The full run of Red Rum Club dates for 2021 are as follows:
• Tue 10 Aug Cardiff The Tramshed^
• Wed 11 Aug Leicester O2 Academy^
• Fri 13 Aug Keele SU^
• Sat 14 Aug Liverpool Guild^
• Tue 17 Aug Glasgow O2 Academy^
• Thu 19 Aug Norwich The Waterfront^
• Fri 20 Aug Brixton Academy^
• Sun 5 Sep Neighbourhood Weekender, Manchester*
• Fri 10 Sep TRNSMT
• Tue 28 Sep Newcastle Riverside
• Wed 29 Sep Glasgow King Tuts
• Thu 30 Sep Hull Adelphi
• Fri 1 Oct Blackpool Bootleg Social
• Sat 2 Oct Sound City Liverpool*
• Sun 3 Oct Leeds Brudenell
• Mon 4 Oct York Crescent
• Tue 5 Oct London Lafayette
• Wed 6 Oct Milton Keynes Crauford Arms
• Fri 8 Oct Bedford Esquires
• Sat 9 OctCardiff Clwb Ifor Bach
• Sun 10 Oct Brighton Patterns
• Mon 11 Oct Bournemouth Anvil
• Wed 13 Oct Bristol Thelka
• Thu 14 Oct Truro Old Bakery
• Fri 15 Oct Exeter Cavern
• Sat 16 Oct Oxford O2 Academy
• Mon 18 Oct Birmingham O2 Institute 3
• Tue 19 Oct Sheffield O2 Academy 2
• Wed 20 Oct Huddersfield Parish
• Thu 21 Oct Manchester Club Academy
• Sat 23 Oct Liverpool Mountford Hall
^On tour with Circa Waves
FOLLOW RED RUM CLUB
Words by SALLY NEWMAN for The Songbird HQ